Welcome to She Invests, where you’ll hear from existing female angel investors, venture capitalists and fund managers on their investment thesis. From deal flow to exits, they will share the best practices that contribute to their success.
In this episode, Dr. Silvia Mah welcomes to the podcast former Director of Contracts at Qualcomm, Janet Carson. After retiring from Qualcomm in 2018, Janet turned her focus to making an impact in the community by serving with several community-based organizations and investing personal resources with numerous startup companies. As an angel investor, Janet identifies innovative solutions and technology-centric startup companies for investment opportunities.
Dr. Silvia and Janet talk about how Janet has diversified her portfolio through different types of investment opportunities, from Portfolia and San Diego Angel Conference to Founders First Capital Partners. They discuss the value of looking to others for industry-specific expertise throughout the due diligence process. Finally, they speak to Janet’s passion for investing in women-led and underrepresented startup organizations.
What We Covered
- 05:06 – Dr. Silvia Mah introduces today’s guest, Janet Carson who speaks to extensive business background, her involvement in San Diego Angel Conference and what she enjoyed most about SDAC
- 11:19 – How Janet’s experience has changed with a year under her belt at SDAC and speaks to the benefits of angel investing
- 15:14 – How SDAC has adjusted and pivoted amidst COVID-19
- 19:32 – Janet speaks to the site visits she’s excited to make once it’s safer to travel
- 23:02 – Janet opens up about her different investment approaches and how she’s leveraged the investment platform Portfolia
- 34:10 – Janet talks about her involvement with Kim Folsom and Founders First Capital Partners
- 38:01 – How Janet views herself as an investor
- 42:54 – What abundance mindset means to Janet
Share the Show
Did you enjoy the show? We would love it if you subscribed today and left us a 5-star review!
- Click this link
- Click on the ‘Subscribe’ button below the artwork
- Go to the ‘Ratings and Reviews’ section
- Click on ‘Write a Review’