Welcome to She Invests, where you’ll hear from existing female angel investors, venture capitalists and fund managers on their investment thesis. From deal flow to exits, they will share the best practices that contribute to their success.
In this episode, Dr. Silvia Mah welcomes to the podcast entrepreneur, founder and fellow angel investor, Dr. Kay Olmstead. Dr. Kay is an angel investor who has a particular interest in investing in technology-based companies in biotech and clean tech. She looks for investment opportunities in socially responsible companies with technologies to make our world better by creating products to tackle tough problems. Dr. Kay is also an accomplished entrepreneur and is a co-founder and CEO of Nano PharmaSolutions. Throughout her thirty-two year career in the pharmaceutical industry she led the development efforts of five FDA-approved drugs and holds nineteen issued patents to date.
Today, Dr. Silvia speaks to Dr. Kay about her investment thesis, one that is rooted in impact investing and legacy building through philanthropic investment vehicles, such as Donor Advised Funds, or DAFs. Dr. Kay continues by discussing the importance of commercialization and provides general advice to aspiring entrepreneurs.
What We Covered
- 04:40 – Dr. Silvia Mah introduces today’s guest, Dr. Kay Olmstead who speaks to her investment thesis and the decision to pursue impact investing
- 16:44 – Dr. Kay talks about how her approach to investing has been influenced by her background as both an intrapreneur and entrepreneur
- 20:53 – Dr. Kay provides some poignant investment questions that are important to ask
- 24:03 – Dr. Kay comments on the importance of commercialization
- 29:33 – Dr. Kay speaks to the value of relationship building in investing
- 34:35 – Dr. Kay talks about her experience with San Diego Angel Conference
- 38:47 – Dr. Silvia recaps her interview with Dr. Kay
Share the Show
Did you enjoy the show? We would love it if you subscribed today and left us a 5-star review!
- Click this link
- Click on the ‘Subscribe’ button below the artwork
- Go to the ‘Ratings and Reviews’ section
- Click on ‘Write a Review’